Monday, December 20, 2004

A Christmas Gift

“Should that gift be from Santa or us?” “We’ve kept the gifts equal, right?” “I know it’s educational, but will he like it?” “Does that go in the stocking or under the tree?” And of course, “Do we have enough batteries for all that?!”

Of all the uncertainties that go into gift giving, we found the perfect gift this year. The gift each other. Christmas in the year 2004 will bestow a new interpretation of ease and wonderment. While the main components will still be evident (hearty hugs with family, large Christmas meals, beautifully wrapped gifts…) I now foresee even more. A candlelit evening church service, an extra long roadside stop watching for Santa’s sleigh, kids lounging in their p.j.’s long after breakfast while they play with their toys, and even more time for that stove-side bear hug I look forward to from Andy.

In years of Christmas past, we like so many others have dashed to this place and that, sheepishly leaving one celebration too early and stressfully arriving at the next too late. While I doubt this will be the reason Elliott and Noah seek therapy as adults, I still feel a mother’s guilt wondering if their Christmas memories could have been tainted with tension. With the understanding of our respective extended families, we have wiped the slate clean and altered all of the Yuletide plans which have been established since the dawn of time (or at least since 1997).

Admittedly, I do feel remorse knowing that we won’t see some of those Aunts, Uncles and Cousins who have done their part in creating our own special Christmas memories. But we are learning that this holiday in particular should signify more than our own superhuman ability to travel the twin cities in a single bound. I implore anyone with a special Christmas memory to share their own customs. When I reflect into the big blue eyes of Elliott William and Noah Andrew, I want to see magic and sense the seed of new tradition.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

I LOVE BLOGGING! Welcome to the blogging world!
Christmas memories: We were lucky, my mom had the rule I have small kids, everyone comes to me.
It was wonderful having our house be the center of the holiday bustle. Me and Lib would wake eachother up (her doing the actual waking more than me if I remember right!)and rush downstairs. I don't remember many of the presesnts we received, but I remember the family, the love, the TONS of cookies, and how everyone had a place to go fro Christmas. The Petersons.
Those are the things I want to preserve from Christmas Past.

December 20, 2004 12:37 PM  
Blogger Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Christmas should never be about rushing around, dragging your family from house to house, just to try please the masses. True, Christmas is about sharing with family and friends, but what are you really sharing if you are only giving a ½ hearted attempt? I applaud you for taking the time to nurture the meaning of Christmas and church in your children, after all that IS what Christmas is truly about. Best of luck and warm wishes as you move forward with your new tradition. You and Andy are wonderful parents and you guys are doing a wonderful thing for your family. I bet you’ll be surprised to see your extended family come around (probably literally)!

December 21, 2004 8:30 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Hey Feleash!
I linked your page to mine. I hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I'll take it off...otherwise, it's just a way we can navigate between pages. Hope your day is a good one!

December 21, 2004 9:11 AM  
Blogger Felecia said...

I don't mind the linking at all! But I must admid that I don't know what that really entails or how to do it myself. If it helps us navigate more easily, then DO TELL!?

December 21, 2004 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home