Thursday, January 12, 2006

Boy Meets Girl

I just finished listening to Olivia Newton John’s Grease hit “You’re The One That I Want” – I loved that movie. The part of the movie where this song plays is so inspiring to young women. Sandra Dee decides she would like to go ahead with a transformation to better appeal to the man of her dreams, John Travolta. She trades in her Ked’s and poodle skirt for some stiletto’s and tight pants. Her hair has been teased and curled and lips brushed red. Travolta’s reaction is classic and you can’t help but smile as the two lusty teenagers dance around the fairgrounds clinging to each other and the wonderful futures they are sure to have, now that they are both wearing black leather. High school romance; what a wonderful thing.

I couldn't help but reflect on my own high school romance. I married mine. Andy and I dated (if you cold call it that) since the 8th grade. I think the appropriate term for it was "go with each other".

Boy: "Will you go with me?"
Girl: "Sure, I'll go with you."

Then they just sit there - going together. Wondering who will make the first move to hold hands and more.

Thank goodness I met my husband under such simple circumstances. Knowing our personalities, it could have been much more complicated had we been into our 20's.

Boy: "I think you should go with me."
Girl: "Oh yea? And why is that?"
Boy: "Because I am a handsome and charming stud who will bother you until you submit."
Girl: "Well, I'm much to indecisive to give you a real answer. Go bother somebody else."
Boy: "We are sure to have a wonderful future together - just go with me already!"
Girl: "I don't think I like your tone!"
Boy: "Well I think you deserve that tone based on your attitude!"

I thank my lucky stars that adolescent hormones pointed me in the right direction with Andy. I was able to wash my hands of those dating and relationship struggles that most people tend to experience.

And unlike Ms. Sandra, I didn't have to struggle into a pair of tight leather pants to do it.

4 Comments:

Blogger eyes_only4him said...

how sweet..man 8th grade..

i started dating my hubby my senoir year of highschool way back in 92...

sounds like you you did good though, even if you dont wear tightpants and tease up your hair.

i love that movie too...

January 16, 2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger Mandi said...

I for one am so glad that I didn't have to wear tight pants...not sure I would have ever gotten married that way :)

January 16, 2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

what a sweet post. i think it's amazingly awesome... since 8th grade. what a cool story for your kids to know!

January 17, 2006 3:39 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

sigh. And now... YOU'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!!

January 30, 2006 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home