The tail bone's connected to the....
Imagine if you will, a harried Sunday morning at the Engen household. Instead of attending the regular church service, we're helping out in the youth room, so that means we've gotta make tracks and get there a bit earlier. "Don't forget to pack the video camera!" (the fire department is holding its annual Christmas party at noon - a petting zoo, Santa and a magician - the kids love it.) "Did you wrap Theo's birthday present yet?" "Yup!" (Elliott's attending a birthday party at 2pm...) "What time is hockey practice tonight?" (as if we didn't have enough on our plates...)
I could hear the volume on Elliott's Starwars video game downstairs getting louder and louder and made a mental note to have a talk with him about it. And why isn't Noah joining in the fun DOWNSTAIRS rather than banging around the landing in his toy fire truck? Nevermind - nevermind; he's fine.
Then it happened. Andy came out of one room and I out of another - we gently collided. I took a step backward, rammed my heel into the metal edge of Noah's vintage La France fire truck and went down. Not only did said fire truck aid to my fall, but it also acted as a landing pad. A blunt and wretchedly sharp metal landing pad which from it's "hood" protruded a curved metal arm that held a bell.
Had I been positioned any other way during my fall, I would simply have a bruised posterior. However I can assure you that by some strange twist of fate, the curved metal accessory lined up quite nicely with the curvature of my...eh..."Caracas".
WHAM!
The next thing I remember is my family bent over me asking if I was okay. Noah repetitively chanted "I sowwy momma!" (did he know that his toy caused this or did he feel a 2-year old's compulsive need to apologize in the presence of tears?) Andy's stifled snickering stopped immediately when he saw what I landed on. I could hear the sounds of Elliott's video game playing without him...
Get up. Get up. Get up.
I felt as if there should be a burst of applause when I was assisted to my feet. I think I even heard it in my head. "...and what's this? Yes - yes... Felecia, while having taken a nasty fall, is on her feet! We'll keep you posted on her progress as we head into the playoffs..."
Back to reality. I limped to the bathroom to assess the damage. Knock knock "You okay in there?" "Uh huh" Knock knock "Can I get anything for you?" (a stiff drink maybe...) "No"
I gingerly went through the motions of our very busy day (on my feet). Finally, after a few days of moans and groans, Andy urged me to see a doctor. The x-rays showed exactly what I expected they would - a broken tail bone (but thank God, not a piece of that dang fire truck!) I am now equipped with plenty of Advil and a butt doughnut (which by the way, is useless when trying to do anything other than laugh!)
I guess life has a way of slowing us down when we've taken on too much at once. So please, heed my warning... Don't let holiday chaos kick your @ss as it has done mine!
Oye.
I could hear the volume on Elliott's Starwars video game downstairs getting louder and louder and made a mental note to have a talk with him about it. And why isn't Noah joining in the fun DOWNSTAIRS rather than banging around the landing in his toy fire truck? Nevermind - nevermind; he's fine.
Then it happened. Andy came out of one room and I out of another - we gently collided. I took a step backward, rammed my heel into the metal edge of Noah's vintage La France fire truck and went down. Not only did said fire truck aid to my fall, but it also acted as a landing pad. A blunt and wretchedly sharp metal landing pad which from it's "hood" protruded a curved metal arm that held a bell.
Had I been positioned any other way during my fall, I would simply have a bruised posterior. However I can assure you that by some strange twist of fate, the curved metal accessory lined up quite nicely with the curvature of my...eh..."Caracas".
WHAM!
The next thing I remember is my family bent over me asking if I was okay. Noah repetitively chanted "I sowwy momma!" (did he know that his toy caused this or did he feel a 2-year old's compulsive need to apologize in the presence of tears?) Andy's stifled snickering stopped immediately when he saw what I landed on. I could hear the sounds of Elliott's video game playing without him...
Get up. Get up. Get up.
I felt as if there should be a burst of applause when I was assisted to my feet. I think I even heard it in my head. "...and what's this? Yes - yes... Felecia, while having taken a nasty fall, is on her feet! We'll keep you posted on her progress as we head into the playoffs..."
Back to reality. I limped to the bathroom to assess the damage. Knock knock "You okay in there?" "Uh huh" Knock knock "Can I get anything for you?" (a stiff drink maybe...) "No"
I gingerly went through the motions of our very busy day (on my feet). Finally, after a few days of moans and groans, Andy urged me to see a doctor. The x-rays showed exactly what I expected they would - a broken tail bone (but thank God, not a piece of that dang fire truck!) I am now equipped with plenty of Advil and a butt doughnut (which by the way, is useless when trying to do anything other than laugh!)
I guess life has a way of slowing us down when we've taken on too much at once. So please, heed my warning... Don't let holiday chaos kick your @ss as it has done mine!
Oye.


7 Comments:
Oh no, Felecia! I can just see it happening and I feel horrible for you! Hang in there girl and milk this unfortunate incident as much as you can :)
How do they fix a broken tail bone??? Oh my word! Oh I wish I could say call if you need some help but help from Michigan probably wouldn't be helpfulat all! Hang in there!!!
I can't decide what's funnier - explaining said events or imagining what the scenario must have looked like!
Don't worry Mandi - those friends and neighbors nearby are baffled as to how they might help:) As it turns out, tail bones just heal themselves. The "bend" will never go back to normal, but the break will heal itself. The only concern the doctor had was how the new position of the tail bone might affect the birth canal (if I was to have more children).
wow..bent and broken. You poor, poor cousin. I think maybe your doctor should send you here to recooperate your health (you know, like in all the Jane Austin books they send people to "Bath" or some other such place for their health?). Carry your donught proudly and try to feel better.
Love you!
Could you just imagine the two of us hanging out right about now?
Poor Jayson... "could you be a dear and bring me a hot chocolate?" "How about some marshmellows?" "Oh, and I think I saw the latest issue of People over there - how about it?" (the list goes on!) Nope. I love my cousin and her hubby too much to expose them to a laid up version of me!
HOWEVER... if air fares are agreeable, I would love to arrange a visit to see the wee little one (and the not so wee one too!) Perhaps this Spring?
you poor dear!! that must hurt like hell...having a bruised one is bad enough...Oh I can feel it now..Oh..go sit on your donut honey:)
hey I changed my adress...
just giving u the heads up so u dont go to the old one and think I left:)
www.raspberryberet3.blopspot.com
Post a Comment
<< Home