"C'mon Down and Meet Some Friends of Mine"
We're good people - Andy and I that is. We have a wonderful marriage, two beautiful children and a basic quaint existence that takes us to church, work, our grandmothers', and home again. We attend school programs, family birthday parties and baptisms. One of our shared survival instincts is to do our best at bettering the lives of our children and those around us in any small way we can.
Yet every night after tucking our boys in, we share a minor...lapse in judgment. It's something we both look forward to at the end of a long day, even when we know better.
South Park.
We love South Park.
The trashy language, the raunchy innuendoes, the extremely UNpolitical topics. We love it all. Animation that when first broadcast on network television, had me thinking a nasty gram to the folks down at Warner Brothers was in order. But as Andy and I grew tired of the Late Show and that other late show, we found ourselves craving the mindless and unexpected humor that only little Stanley, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny can provide.
In addition (Lord help me...) I really have found that the show offers perspective. When the parents of the children are written in, they are a variety of dopey adults trying to do their best in teaching the boys about things like drugs, sex, strangers, etc. Their far-reaching and exaggerated attempts to do the right thing typically has the kids dumbfounded (and us laughing our heads off). Whether it be an unconscious attempt by the writers of the show, or a sought out endeavor, I feel as if I have been enriched by its knack to do nothing in moderation.
Yet every night after tucking our boys in, we share a minor...lapse in judgment. It's something we both look forward to at the end of a long day, even when we know better.
South Park.
We love South Park.
The trashy language, the raunchy innuendoes, the extremely UNpolitical topics. We love it all. Animation that when first broadcast on network television, had me thinking a nasty gram to the folks down at Warner Brothers was in order. But as Andy and I grew tired of the Late Show and that other late show, we found ourselves craving the mindless and unexpected humor that only little Stanley, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny can provide.
In addition (Lord help me...) I really have found that the show offers perspective. When the parents of the children are written in, they are a variety of dopey adults trying to do their best in teaching the boys about things like drugs, sex, strangers, etc. Their far-reaching and exaggerated attempts to do the right thing typically has the kids dumbfounded (and us laughing our heads off). Whether it be an unconscious attempt by the writers of the show, or a sought out endeavor, I feel as if I have been enriched by its knack to do nothing in moderation.


3 Comments:
Oh boy! :) I will admit that I have seen one episode that made me laugh....we don't have cable anymore so no temptation! Matt thinks it's hilarious too....
YOU LINKED ME!!!!!! Oh I am so flattered!!! :)
ok,
this our dirty little secret too..my hubby, who is working towrad being a preacher..LOVES IT...
I guess the humor is so good that you dont mind hearing the little boys use curse words..
we watch it every night when its on..
going right to hell are we..HAHA
Post a Comment
<< Home