Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Should I Peek, or Simply Eeek?

There's a newer movie on the circuit entitled "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", which is based on the true story of events that took place just outside of St. Paul, Minnesota. In addition to being a huge sucker for "true stories", I am mildly intrigued with the whole concept of exorcism...(this may stem from time I watched a portion of the old Linda Blair's "The Exorcist" from behind the couch at Nicky's when I was 10 or so!)

This story follows the events of an exorcism gone awry, and the legal repercussions taken upon the priest who performed it. In a nutshell, 19 year old Emily Rose leaves her family's quaint farmhouse to attend classes at the University of Minnesota. While attending the university, she undergoes many transformations (sure, what college kid doesn't?) ... but for Emily, the changes include demonic hallucinations, seizures, etc. When the family calls their priest about the possibility of demonic influences on their daughter, he determines that she has indeed been possessed. They go ahead with the exorcism but to their dismay, Emily dies in the midst of it - via self-inflicted wounds.

According to the review, the movie then takes its audience on an intense and legal science-v-faith debate. Was Emily suffering from epileptic seizures that simply couldn't be caught by the medical professionals she had been recently seen by, or were they indeed fits caused by her supposed demonic forces?

As you may have gathered, I want to see this movie. I ask you - am I nuts!? On one hand, I'm a terrible wimp who doesn't want to be left sleepless for the next few weeks, having nightmares of my dog being possessed or something. On the other hand, I know that this movie contains numerous intriguing debates, concepts and entertainment venues that I simply dig!

15 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

I am also very intrigued by it, but much too wimpy to go see it. If you see it though, you have to give me a play by play of everything!

October 26, 2005 12:11 PM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

i havent even heard of this movie..where i have i been??...

sounds like a good one..if i lived closer u and i could go togther and share some pocorn and get the bejesus scared out of us:)

October 26, 2005 12:49 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Hawk said...

I heard that it's more of a courtroom drama then a horror flick. Sure, it has its scary moments - when they flash back to Emily Rose, but that is not the main focus of the movie. I won't see it because that stuff FREAKS ME OUT especially becasue I believe that demons are real and out there. I will have nightmares and personally, I don't really like nightmares :)

October 26, 2005 3:21 PM  
Blogger Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

I too am intrigued by the movie. I love "real life" stories and it is a home state story. Although I am WAY to much of a baby to see it, I am dying to hear about it.

October 26, 2005 5:26 PM  
Blogger Mandi said...

LOL, we are all such wimps. I too am way too chicken, I'd be up for weeks! But the topic is fascinating. I have seen people possesed in real ife and that was horrifying....not sure I'd pay to see it! I think as beleivers we know that is a real thing, biblically speaking. Makes me realize once again that there is a evil one at work in the world.

October 27, 2005 9:18 AM  
Blogger Misty said...

ok. i would see it, but everyone i know is too scared to see it and there is no way i am going alone... :)

really though, it is a spectrum movie. on one side you have the people who say "it was the scariest movie ever!" which i HIGHLY doubt...
then on the other hand you have the people who say it wasn't scary at all and was all courtroom dialogue like someone already mentioned...

i, personally, am waiting for the DVD... because then i can write down all of the scary parts, share them with mindy and make her watch it with me again. :)

October 27, 2005 9:35 AM  
Blogger Felecia said...

Well it's good to know I'm not alone in the spook factor here!

The last movie that I was greatly affected by was "White Noise". UP ALL NIGHT - LIGHTS ALL ON - EVERY NOISE HEARD. Even my dog was annoyed by my jumpy behavior and left me alone.

Its those movies that have the spiritual/evil thing happening, which I can see we all pretty much agree, is very real to us and therefore scary.

October 28, 2005 8:25 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

so, you gonna see it?

October 28, 2005 8:30 AM  
Blogger Felecia said...

I dunno...

October 28, 2005 6:55 PM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

white noise..I have wanted to see that one..I love scarey movies...

let us know if u see it

October 28, 2005 7:18 PM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

OK, I SAW WHITE NOISE LAST NIGHT...I LOVED IT...BUT I WILL NO LONGER HAVE ANY WHITE NOISE IN THE BACKGROUND ANYMORE:-)

October 30, 2005 7:12 AM  
Blogger Misty said...

ok... in re: to white noise. did not scare me. i thought (honestly) that it was one of the most poorly written/made movies i had EVER seen. and because of so many propblems with it, i imagine i didn't take it seriously enough to get scared....

we did, however, watch the special features and they were exploring this hotel in chicaco where a fire had killed people.... and its supposedly haunted. that whole thing was frightening.....

October 31, 2005 6:12 AM  
Blogger Misty said...

had to add, the last movie i saw which scared me so badly that i couldn't sleep was the Blair Witch Project, years and years ago....

October 31, 2005 6:13 AM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

white noise didnt scare me, just kinda gave me a freak out when my babies monitor was on before the other unit was on, and the white noise came on..LOL

Blair witch project was good, but it gave me a headache with all the shakey cinimatogrophy..did scare me though, but one movie that did was The ring...LOL

October 31, 2005 6:45 AM  
Blogger Felecia said...

White Noise wasn't too frightening for me until the blind woman in the film told Michael Keaton's character that he was dabbling in things he ought not to dabble in. (ISN'T THAT THE TRUTH?) That's when things go awry... It's that very obvious scenario that brought us the saying "curiousity killed the cat". I find myself being curious about things but typically heed my own warnings and stay in my sunshine filled world of the known.

As for the Blair Witch Project? I have to agree with Christina - I tried to give it a chance but just got annoyed with the unsteady camera.

November 01, 2005 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home