Thursday, June 02, 2005

Noah v. Mom

Noah has been trying temper tantrums on for size these days. He seems to enjoy them and while I've tried my darndest to avoid and/or deal with them, I'm slowly going insane. I've tried to (a) ignore them; (b) be the patient mother who tries to nurture him out of one; (c) reason with him... the list goes on. I'm at the end of my rope. What's worse is that Andy leaves for a fishing trip this weekend and for a fire conference next. How do I combat these battles of will without his assistance and without self combusting? The only way they seem to stop is if I loose it - which frankly, I don't like doing! Sending him to his "be nice chair" or bed, screaming at him and scaring him into being calm is not exactly the high point of motherhood. I've tried praying on it, but I'm afraid to admit that it came out more like "I don't care about the stupid lesson you're trying to teach me in patience, just shut that kid up!" (Not exactly earning my christianity OR motherhood points here.)

So please, say a (real) prayer for me or send me some words of wisdome as to how I can best deal with these fits.

2 Comments:

Blogger Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

You are more than welcome to head over to my house with the boys this weekend. I am game for helping out in any way I can. Maybe you and I can take the boys out to the Como Zoo to keep them busy. Just let me know how I can help. I can even sit with Noah if you need a break.

I will pray for you (and Noah) too!

June 02, 2005 10:32 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Oh the days! I remember them well (and still relive them occasionally!)I think one time I even closed myself in my room and told Evy MOMMY NEEDS A TIME OUT! (it actually helped me refocus a bit.:o)
The way we handled it with Evy, for better or worse, was to explain to her that everyone feels angry or upset sometimes, but that kind of behavior isn't aloud in [whatever room we were in]. If she needed to get it out, she needed to do it in her room. (sometimes I would have to physically take her there, other times she would go on her own.) I told her it wasn't a time out, she could come out whenever she could get herself under control. If it was more that about 5 minutes coming, I would usually go back in and ask her if she wanted an idea about how to help calm down...other times, I'd just let her work it out. I think when she realized she had to go be by herself when she acted that way and she wasn't getting the attention she was trying for they lessened dramatically.
You're a great Mom, Fleash, I know you will make it through this. Take a deep breath (and maybe call a babysitter for a girls night out!)
GOOD LUCK!

June 02, 2005 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home