A Debate of My Own
Here is a good idea of the debates I encounter on a daily basis...
Elliott: Mom! I can’t find my spy watch!
Mom: Sorry kiddo, haven’t seen it.
Elliott: I think it was in the pocket of my shorts!
Mom: (gulp) “Then it’s in the wash… right now…”
Elliott: (eyes wide as saucers, inaudible mutters and groans)
Yes, he was right. There in the laundry room I fished out the sacred (and now, inoperable) spy-watch. Elliott was bummed and I was a defensive form of concerned. I bit my tongue each and every time I felt the urge to say “See what happens when you leave your clothes on the floor!” (which was a lot on this particular evening.) Then enters Andy…
Andy: What’s going on?
Elliott: (sniff sniff)
Mom: The spy watch went through the wash and now, well… (hands it over)
Andy: (thoughtful pause) This is a perfect example of YOU NOT CHECKING POCKETS before doing laundry. Felecia, you really need to make a better effort about doing that.
Mom: (&#$@!)
I won’t bore you with the frenzy of activity that followed. I am simply setting up a forum whereby I can acquire from you: WHOSE JOB IS IT TO CHECK POCKETS? Is it the job of the clothing owner (e.g., Andy's and/or Elliott's) or is it the job of the Laundry Wench (e.g., me)?
Elliott: Mom! I can’t find my spy watch!
Mom: Sorry kiddo, haven’t seen it.
Elliott: I think it was in the pocket of my shorts!
Mom: (gulp) “Then it’s in the wash… right now…”
Elliott: (eyes wide as saucers, inaudible mutters and groans)
Yes, he was right. There in the laundry room I fished out the sacred (and now, inoperable) spy-watch. Elliott was bummed and I was a defensive form of concerned. I bit my tongue each and every time I felt the urge to say “See what happens when you leave your clothes on the floor!” (which was a lot on this particular evening.) Then enters Andy…
Andy: What’s going on?
Elliott: (sniff sniff)
Mom: The spy watch went through the wash and now, well… (hands it over)
Andy: (thoughtful pause) This is a perfect example of YOU NOT CHECKING POCKETS before doing laundry. Felecia, you really need to make a better effort about doing that.
Mom: (&#$@!)
I won’t bore you with the frenzy of activity that followed. I am simply setting up a forum whereby I can acquire from you: WHOSE JOB IS IT TO CHECK POCKETS? Is it the job of the clothing owner (e.g., Andy's and/or Elliott's) or is it the job of the Laundry Wench (e.g., me)?


6 Comments:
Oh how I can join in on this subject. As the official laundry maid in my (small) family, I have established that it is in deed the RESPONSIBILITY of the clothing owner to check the pockets. If I am kind enough to take the time to wash and dry YOUR clothes, you can be respectful and appreciative enough to empty the pockets. Now I will tell, it has taken several important items of Zac's to make it through the wash but he has now come to see my point of view and appreciate the fact that I do HIS laundry therefore he should clean out his own pockets.
THANK YOU DEAR COUSIN! Your input is much appreciated. Perhaps this is a matter of (1) Elliott learning to empty his pockets and (2) Andy learning to shut his pie hole.
Their stuff = Their responsibility.
I'm totally on your side here Felecia. Jayson likes to leave chapstick and gum in his pockets. Just so you know, that ruins THE WHOLE LOAD!!! And as long as we're on the subject of laundry...what's up with the laundry that's thrown BESIDE the hamper? The hamper is RIGHT THERE could you aim a little?!?!?
AMen and hallelujah......we've had more clothes ruined from chapstick...grrr. Totally their responsibility!
I guess I have it lucky. My husband is very much a man of routine, and before he puts clothes in the hamper, he checks his pockets...I on the other hand, am the guilty one. I've ruined my work clothes because of chapstick, and I've been known to forget about the Kleenex in the pocket. But, I agree, the pocket checker should be done by the pocket owner.
YAY! THANKS GIRLS! I WIN!
YAY!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home