Friday, October 06, 2006

My Crazy 8

To commemorate Elliott’s eighth birthday, I would like to create a timeline that defines just a few of the crazy and altogether unique traits that encompass my firstborn’s personality.

Age 1
Invents the “Butt Drop” (Running across the room at high speeds, pulls legs up, out in front of him and BOOM…drops!) As much as we wince and feel imaginary pains in the back of our jeans, this child giggles and laughs, and gears up for another go.

Age 2
Dreams of “Shubbles & Buckets” (a/k/a Shovels & Buckets) on a regular basis. We finally realize he is talking about the characters from his favorite TV show, Blues Clues. (To this day, however, we remain unaware as to what “Donning is Stenning & Stenning is Donning” means!)

Age 3
After a sleepy descent down the stairs on the morning of his birthday, he spies a stack of presents. He rubs his eyes, reads the card, smiles widely and announces “IT SAYS ELLIOTT WANGUM!” (‘Wangum’ being a combination of his middle and last name…)

Prior to said birthday, he only had small McDonald-ish Toy Story action figures. He had desperately been wanting the larger models, which he indeed received from mom and dad. Go ahead and guess what came out of my little cherub's mouth when asked what he received for his birthday? Did you guess it?
"A BIG BUZZ AND A WOODY."

(Oh, the long long hours spent on explanations each time that happened...)

Age 4
Mom and Dad brace themselves for laughter from anything Elliott might say. Some good examples are “Dad! Your ties are unshoed!” During a trip to the grocery store, Elliott is heard exclaiming with gleeful enthusiasm "Really Dad? Awesome! I LOVE broccoli! Thanks Dad!" (as onlookers stare in disbelief...)

Age 5
"I love Spiderman." "Look at me - I'm Spiderman!" "Vfschew!" (Web spinning) "Vfschew!" "Did you see my Spiderman moves?" "Favorite colors? Blue and red... just like Spiderman." "Vfschew! Vfschew! Ha! Gotcha mom!" "Do you think Spiderman has a dog? I think he has a dog." (GET OFF THE CAR, ELLIOTT!) "But Mom! Spiderman does it!" "Do you think I look a little like Spiderman?" "God bless mom, dad, baby Noah, Grommet and Spiderman. Amen."

Age 6
Elliott comes home from a birthday party and immediately begins discussing the high points; "We got to drink pop, eat pizza, go to the batting cage, ride in a limo, and guess what? I told Cullen's mom and dad about your tattoo - that it used to say 'Andy' but now it says 'AAAANNNNNDDDDY' because you had babies, and then I told that joke about the 4 guys who only know one word. Cullen's parents laughed a lot and asked me to repeat it for the video camera." (Repeat what, Elliott!?) "Oh, the part about the tattoo."
"Why?"

Age 7
"Can I go over to Adam and Josiah's to play?" "Do you mind if I ride my bike up and down the alley?" "The guys are getting together to play catch - can I go?" "We're going to play a little football in the back yard." "We're going to work on the clubhouse some more, it'll only take an hour." "Can I go home on the bus with Casey?" "Bye mom! I'm going to John's!"
Hold on tight. It goes by fast.
Happy Birthday Elliott

2 Comments:

Blogger Mandi said...

As I'm wiping tears away....my oldest turns 8 this year as well....sigh. It does go so fast..

October 07, 2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Hawk said...

Wow! What a great timeline. It was nice to get a little glimps into your lives the last 8 years! I'm sure you and AAAAANNNNNNDDDDDYYYYY :) are really happy!

October 11, 2006 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home