27...28...29...
I know why they call it "30-something". That 'something' represents the tastefull way we might otherwise curse anything above 29.
Flipping through an Operah magazine the other day in the lobby of my dental office, I read a blurb in the letter to the "fashion" editor section that really struck a nerve. A 24 year old wrote in and asked "like, um (I'm ad-libbing here...) how soon should I, like, start using anti-ageing products?" I wanted to puke... by all means, take care of your skin and gleefully bask in condition of your youthful pores, but don't start whining about wrinkles when you've only just bid farewell to teenage associated acne.
If the inquiry alone had me in a tiz, you should have seem my wide eyes reading the response. Beauty editor whats-her-name says "Oh, honey, the day before yesterday!" and went on to pour salt in my exhasparated open wounds by saying "women as young as 18 should use antiaging products for numerous reasons..." I read through about a third of the list of problems women encounter in their 30's (very much identifying, by the way) before I whipped the mag back on the table and pouted a little.
I'm only now closing in on the end of my 20's. I'm not ready to discuss antiaging creams yet, nor am I ready to scoff at women in their early 20's - but here I am... doing both. Every time I wash my face or slap lotion on, I hear that blasted little voice saying "is that an age spot or sun spot?" "should I moisturize more around those laugh lines?" and of course "is that a hair growing out of my beauty mark?!"
So here it is, gals. The turning moment when I came face-to-face with not only having to check a different age box on miscellaneous forms, but that I too, could use a little wrinkle cream.
Flipping through an Operah magazine the other day in the lobby of my dental office, I read a blurb in the letter to the "fashion" editor section that really struck a nerve. A 24 year old wrote in and asked "like, um (I'm ad-libbing here...) how soon should I, like, start using anti-ageing products?" I wanted to puke... by all means, take care of your skin and gleefully bask in condition of your youthful pores, but don't start whining about wrinkles when you've only just bid farewell to teenage associated acne.
If the inquiry alone had me in a tiz, you should have seem my wide eyes reading the response. Beauty editor whats-her-name says "Oh, honey, the day before yesterday!" and went on to pour salt in my exhasparated open wounds by saying "women as young as 18 should use antiaging products for numerous reasons..." I read through about a third of the list of problems women encounter in their 30's (very much identifying, by the way) before I whipped the mag back on the table and pouted a little.
I'm only now closing in on the end of my 20's. I'm not ready to discuss antiaging creams yet, nor am I ready to scoff at women in their early 20's - but here I am... doing both. Every time I wash my face or slap lotion on, I hear that blasted little voice saying "is that an age spot or sun spot?" "should I moisturize more around those laugh lines?" and of course "is that a hair growing out of my beauty mark?!"
So here it is, gals. The turning moment when I came face-to-face with not only having to check a different age box on miscellaneous forms, but that I too, could use a little wrinkle cream.


3 Comments:
i turned 30 this year... still haven't yet adjusted.
I do have to say, though, that i cried hysterically the first time i had to check the box- which was segregated so unfairly i wanted to scream! (18-23, 23-29, 30-50)
but i do swear by "phylosophy's "hope in a jar""
At least your not yet applying body filler with a putty knife.
oh goodness, i have been in my .."um...30's" for a few years now...
it only goes downhill from here..
Post a Comment
<< Home