Loving Bing & a Long Overdue Swing
Don’t ridicule. Deep down, you too enjoy the occasional November Christmas music. Such was the case last night while I prepared dinner. I have a CD packed full of Christmas classics; an array of the early crooners belting out everything from “White Christmas” to “Baby it’s Cold Outside” (my personal favorite). As it turns out, my 3 year old seems to enjoy it as much as I do. While he was relaxing in his evening bath, I went about my usual bath time routine of organizing the linen closet, softly singing the female part to Baby it’s Cold Outside. Next thing I know, I’ve got me a duet going. Not realizing what he was doing as he played with his bath toys, he was singing the male part to the song.
“I really can’t stay…”
“Baby it’s cold outside…”
“I’ve got to go away…”
“Baby it’s cold outside…”
“This evening has been - - - so very nice…”
“Look at your hands, they gotta a lotta ice…”
It was so adorable; his little voice was angelic as he navigated his sailboat’s way through the frothy bubbles. I did my best to be nonchalant about the whole thing; the slightest reaction could throw it all. I motioned for Andy to grab the video camera and caught a few moments on tape.
In other news, Elliott has presented me with a new parental quandary. A set of brothers live nearby, who Elliott loves spending time with. They’re usually great kids, going through their own forms of usual growing pains as most kids do. The younger of the two has done good job gaining the reputation of being a monster, though. We’ve had to supervise the friendship closely, and even forbid Elliott from playing with them for a while.
From what I understand, their reunion yesterday was a little shaky. While playing baseball in their yard, the younger brother tries muscling his way into having two batting sessions. As 8-year old etiquette would have it, Elliott says ‘no way’. Things took an ugly turn, and monster-kid tells both Elliott and another neighborhood friend that “You Bi----‘s can just get out of my yard then!” Having had enough of this behavior and knowing full well that mom and dad will have to put the brakes on once again, Elliott allegedly marched over to said monster and punched him in the nose.
I haven’t had the opportunity yet to discuss this with Elliott. I heard the news from another neighborhood mom, whose son saw the whole thing. I can’t decide if I should lecture Elliott on keeping his fists to himself or simply pat him on the back and buy him ice cream.
“I really can’t stay…”
“Baby it’s cold outside…”
“I’ve got to go away…”
“Baby it’s cold outside…”
“This evening has been - - - so very nice…”
“Look at your hands, they gotta a lotta ice…”
It was so adorable; his little voice was angelic as he navigated his sailboat’s way through the frothy bubbles. I did my best to be nonchalant about the whole thing; the slightest reaction could throw it all. I motioned for Andy to grab the video camera and caught a few moments on tape.
In other news, Elliott has presented me with a new parental quandary. A set of brothers live nearby, who Elliott loves spending time with. They’re usually great kids, going through their own forms of usual growing pains as most kids do. The younger of the two has done good job gaining the reputation of being a monster, though. We’ve had to supervise the friendship closely, and even forbid Elliott from playing with them for a while.
From what I understand, their reunion yesterday was a little shaky. While playing baseball in their yard, the younger brother tries muscling his way into having two batting sessions. As 8-year old etiquette would have it, Elliott says ‘no way’. Things took an ugly turn, and monster-kid tells both Elliott and another neighborhood friend that “You Bi----‘s can just get out of my yard then!” Having had enough of this behavior and knowing full well that mom and dad will have to put the brakes on once again, Elliott allegedly marched over to said monster and punched him in the nose.
I haven’t had the opportunity yet to discuss this with Elliott. I heard the news from another neighborhood mom, whose son saw the whole thing. I can’t decide if I should lecture Elliott on keeping his fists to himself or simply pat him on the back and buy him ice cream.


3 Comments:
The fights have started this early. I thought that didn'thappen until junoir high. I'm soooooo scared to raise a boy!
i loved this post Felicia...
That is a hard issue... though hitting is wrong, there is something really fantastic about a kid standing up for themselves and not allowing bullying...
I'd vote for a talk AND ice cream, but mostly thats because I just don't like to shut up:)
Cute about the Christmas music. A young crooner on the way.
I would probably say, "you know we shouldn't hit people,,,Right??" and then drop it. The 'pecking order' for boys will be determined with or without parental guidance. The politically correct thing to do is to interfere and make sure nobody ever loses. We are all the same, the p c'rs would claim. Fact is life isn't that way. Your son won this one and maybe or maybe not the next. He handled it well and you should be proud of him. Just don't let him know it. Cliff Morrow
Post a Comment
<< Home