How I Lost my Groove
I wouldn’t change a thing in my life for all the tea in China (that’s no good, I don’t’ even like tea…) okay – for all the money in the world (generic, I know). Elliott and Noah are not simply contributors to the joy in my life, but they are the sun and the moon that make it all happen. You mothers out there will agree that life before children seems like a list of statistics. Remember when Dorothy opened the door of her little farm house to Oz? The color that overtook us? That’s a wonderful way of describing life before/after children for me.
Just over six years ago, I first became a mother to darling number one, Elliott. It was a new experience full of unexpected twists and turns. While motherhood continued to produce its surprises, I was able to find my groove, so to speak. I felt that I gracefully adapted to the life of a mother, and this new part of me was a wonderful addition to the life I led as a wife, friend, colleague, etc. I welcomed my second son, Noah, into the world nearly 5 years later. Now I can’t be sure, but I’m beginning to suspect that my somewhat sturdy groove decided to pack it up and leave town for good.
Many of my friends and loved ones are contemplating or undergoing their transformations in motherhood. I am here to tell you that while it might not appear to be the most groovy thing in the world, it’s a wonderful change. You will learn even more about yourself, your spouse and those in the world around you.
After baby number one, I found that my little social outings were kinda difficult to find time for. Now, I find myself going for months without so much as even a phone call to my closest (yet very understanding) friends. After baby number one, I would complain that my dry cleaning bills inclined from the occasional kid-related glop. Now I view dry cleaning as a luxury I simply don’t have time for! And don’t get me started on the contents of my closet! I’m learning that the outdated and somewhat dreadful “mom” look is uncontrollable and completely involuntary! Breathe… breathe…
There are a few self-pity moments that sneak up on you as if to say “your children are stealing your identity”. Ignore them. Because what it all comes down to is your pledge of sacrifice. Those children are adding to who you are and who you are capable of being. I have learned how to laugh at myself and cry at myself. Life in its current form has gently guided me past all unnecessary distractions, shown me that true friends understand and helped me realize my own potential with the help of quiet angles.
Thank you Elliott William and Noah Andrew. Mommy loves you.
Just over six years ago, I first became a mother to darling number one, Elliott. It was a new experience full of unexpected twists and turns. While motherhood continued to produce its surprises, I was able to find my groove, so to speak. I felt that I gracefully adapted to the life of a mother, and this new part of me was a wonderful addition to the life I led as a wife, friend, colleague, etc. I welcomed my second son, Noah, into the world nearly 5 years later. Now I can’t be sure, but I’m beginning to suspect that my somewhat sturdy groove decided to pack it up and leave town for good.
Many of my friends and loved ones are contemplating or undergoing their transformations in motherhood. I am here to tell you that while it might not appear to be the most groovy thing in the world, it’s a wonderful change. You will learn even more about yourself, your spouse and those in the world around you.
After baby number one, I found that my little social outings were kinda difficult to find time for. Now, I find myself going for months without so much as even a phone call to my closest (yet very understanding) friends. After baby number one, I would complain that my dry cleaning bills inclined from the occasional kid-related glop. Now I view dry cleaning as a luxury I simply don’t have time for! And don’t get me started on the contents of my closet! I’m learning that the outdated and somewhat dreadful “mom” look is uncontrollable and completely involuntary! Breathe… breathe…
There are a few self-pity moments that sneak up on you as if to say “your children are stealing your identity”. Ignore them. Because what it all comes down to is your pledge of sacrifice. Those children are adding to who you are and who you are capable of being. I have learned how to laugh at myself and cry at myself. Life in its current form has gently guided me past all unnecessary distractions, shown me that true friends understand and helped me realize my own potential with the help of quiet angles.
Thank you Elliott William and Noah Andrew. Mommy loves you.


3 Comments:
How wonderful and poinent. What a wonderful perspective-lender. God is so faithful to us! Even those of us covered in spit up with pages from color books for wallpaper! Maybe not even to us, but especially to us, huh? :o)
I had to post again, because I thought about this entry all week. This is my favorite blog entry ever.
Why thank you! It was funny how this blog took shape. Started out a very self-pity blog about being tired due to kid colds, etc. It transformed into more of a tribute to them. I'm glad it did.
Post a Comment
<< Home