Extra Cheese, Please
Ever have an episode where you see yourself doing something inappropriate, and then realize it was only your imagination?
Today in church, pastor Steve was giving a very heart warming message about our church's ability to become a "Kingdom Community" dripping in warmth and an inviting spirit that makes all feel welcome. He earned a Lutheran chuckle as he talked about our Minnesota church community, and urged us to do more than just offer welcoming smiles to newcomers. He read a passage from 1 Luke where the rich guy decides to have a feast not only for the appropriate members of society, but the sick, blind and lame as well. "We want all to feel welcome!" It was a very nice little talk about a lot of the same stuff (sorry, not being critical but just honest...)
Then out of nowhere and after a well-placed dramatic pause, he says "I've been communicating with people at the apartment complex next-door and I think that if we do this, we'll be able to even get them here."
"WHAT THE - - - -?"
It's as if I could hear the needle being ripped off of an inspirational record right at its pathetic attempt at a climax. I heard myself snort on the inside (which really can be done, by the way.)
I shouted out "Excuse me oh wise one, but how do you know they're not sitting before you right now? Is there a certain smell these "apartment dwellers" give off? Do people who need to be on a fixed-income look a certain way and do those people dwelling in low-income housing have no desire for church unless you and I tell them they should?"
Of course I didn't say any of that. I squirmed a little and looked around hoping somebody else might. I fixed my gaze on his swaying citronella candle as he nearly drove himself to tears singing "This Little Light of Mine."
Then I went home and took some Advil. Oye.
Today in church, pastor Steve was giving a very heart warming message about our church's ability to become a "Kingdom Community" dripping in warmth and an inviting spirit that makes all feel welcome. He earned a Lutheran chuckle as he talked about our Minnesota church community, and urged us to do more than just offer welcoming smiles to newcomers. He read a passage from 1 Luke where the rich guy decides to have a feast not only for the appropriate members of society, but the sick, blind and lame as well. "We want all to feel welcome!" It was a very nice little talk about a lot of the same stuff (sorry, not being critical but just honest...)
Then out of nowhere and after a well-placed dramatic pause, he says "I've been communicating with people at the apartment complex next-door and I think that if we do this, we'll be able to even get them here."
"WHAT THE - - - -?"
It's as if I could hear the needle being ripped off of an inspirational record right at its pathetic attempt at a climax. I heard myself snort on the inside (which really can be done, by the way.)
I shouted out "Excuse me oh wise one, but how do you know they're not sitting before you right now? Is there a certain smell these "apartment dwellers" give off? Do people who need to be on a fixed-income look a certain way and do those people dwelling in low-income housing have no desire for church unless you and I tell them they should?"
Of course I didn't say any of that. I squirmed a little and looked around hoping somebody else might. I fixed my gaze on his swaying citronella candle as he nearly drove himself to tears singing "This Little Light of Mine."
Then I went home and took some Advil. Oye.


7 Comments:
Oh my gosh! Dave's parents go to the same church and we had dinner with them last night - they told us about the "This Little Light of Mine" singing, but didn't mention anything else! Way to think about things, Felecia, and not just nod your head and agree. There needs to be more people like you in the church - maybe you should send the pastor and e-mail with your thoughts. Maybe it'll wake him up. By the way - did you have the birthday party yet?
hmmm, interesting. I agree with your thinking, they could have been right there. And how awful for them if they were. MAybe he had a specific person who lives there in mind. Or maybe he's small minded. I would ask the question though.
Second thought, do you think that we as believers and people of the congregation are meant to really listen to what the pastor says and make sure that it's in line with scripture? Are we obligated to call him on the carpet for statements such as he made? He's human, he makes mistakes. But if no one ever calls him on it, will he ever improve? Sorry just some more thoughts!
oh my goodness...he sounds kinda like our pastor..he makes weird remarks..one time me and the hubby were visiting with him and his wife and he is talking about our town..he says something to the effcet that this town doesnt seem to realize it is a crap hole..and that its not like the biusness owners here acctually get any buisness..and how he hates to admit it but he thinks alot about matariel things...yikes..what freaking seminary school do these fools come from??
anyhoo..glad u didnt cause a scene in church though...LOL
so sadly common. on one hand, these "leaders" are are just men and should be allowed to screw up, but like mandi says, we do need to listen and make sure they speak the truth....
i snorted both on the inside and outside.... i would rather be at the church full of low income apartment dwellers then one self righteous "christian"...
I guess we all have our "off" moments. Is this the type of thing your Pastor says often? And, as a side note, I am a little disappointed you didn't give ole WBL a shocking scene to talking about in church ;)
When all was said and done, I decided it was easier to chalk the comment up to human error and let it go. No, he doesn't make a habit of saying this sort of thing. I had to ask myself if I was being a little too defensive because of my own low-budget background...perhaps:)
But don't worry Lib, if there's a next time...the ladies' society better hang on to their little red hats because I'll give them something to shrill about! tee hee...
Post a Comment
<< Home