The Mouse Wins the House
Andy and I will celebrate our 10 year anniversary in April of 2007. I've always imagined that a 10 year anniversary would bring romantic island and/or Caribbean getaways.
HOWEVER...last Friday changed all that. You see, my more-often-than-not conservative husband went all spontaneous on me last Friday at Elliott’s school fundraiser. It was a dinner and silent auction held at a local country club; a portion of the night was dedicated to a live auction and well. I learned that the mixture of my husband, a few beers and a live auction are an expensive combination!
I had volunteered a large part of the night and was unaware of what items were being auctioned off. When I had a chance to sit down and chat with some friends, I saw that Andy was having a great time bidding on some of the smaller-ticket items in the silent auction. While mid-sentence with a friend, Andy pokes me on the shoulder and asks "Is that round trip?"
In hindsight, I should take this as an opportunity to learn that being a "know-it-all" is costly. Instead of admitting I had no idea what he was talking about, I allowed my sarcasm to take over and say "well they wouldn't just send you one way!"
Next thing I know he’s bidding on a condo in ORLANDO! (Yes folks, the very same Orlando from which we've just returned!)
“SOLD!’ (TO THAT HANDSOME FELLA WITH THE BEER IN HIS HAND...AND PALE WIFE AT HIS SIDE...)
He admits that he thought airfare was included, and has only gently kicked himself once or twice. While I may have not have been expecting a trip BACK to Orlando for spring break and even though I've spent a large part of this post being dramatic about it, I must say that I am now in a place where I'm looking forward to it. When we went last February, our entire vacation was dedicated to Disney, so this time around, I’m looking forward to going and being able to spend some time at the ocean, the Kennedy Space Station (the boys would really love that) and Discovery Cove (the swimming w/ dolphins thing).
We're now in the very preliminary planning stages. Without applying too much pressure, we've asked some family to join us as well. Naturally, the little girl in me has been having a heyday with images of the bliss that may ensue, but the realist in me is simply crossing her fingers and knows that things will work out no matter what.
HOWEVER...last Friday changed all that. You see, my more-often-than-not conservative husband went all spontaneous on me last Friday at Elliott’s school fundraiser. It was a dinner and silent auction held at a local country club; a portion of the night was dedicated to a live auction and well. I learned that the mixture of my husband, a few beers and a live auction are an expensive combination!
I had volunteered a large part of the night and was unaware of what items were being auctioned off. When I had a chance to sit down and chat with some friends, I saw that Andy was having a great time bidding on some of the smaller-ticket items in the silent auction. While mid-sentence with a friend, Andy pokes me on the shoulder and asks "Is that round trip?"
In hindsight, I should take this as an opportunity to learn that being a "know-it-all" is costly. Instead of admitting I had no idea what he was talking about, I allowed my sarcasm to take over and say "well they wouldn't just send you one way!"
Next thing I know he’s bidding on a condo in ORLANDO! (Yes folks, the very same Orlando from which we've just returned!)
“SOLD!’ (TO THAT HANDSOME FELLA WITH THE BEER IN HIS HAND...AND PALE WIFE AT HIS SIDE...)
He admits that he thought airfare was included, and has only gently kicked himself once or twice. While I may have not have been expecting a trip BACK to Orlando for spring break and even though I've spent a large part of this post being dramatic about it, I must say that I am now in a place where I'm looking forward to it. When we went last February, our entire vacation was dedicated to Disney, so this time around, I’m looking forward to going and being able to spend some time at the ocean, the Kennedy Space Station (the boys would really love that) and Discovery Cove (the swimming w/ dolphins thing).
We're now in the very preliminary planning stages. Without applying too much pressure, we've asked some family to join us as well. Naturally, the little girl in me has been having a heyday with images of the bliss that may ensue, but the realist in me is simply crossing her fingers and knows that things will work out no matter what.


4 Comments:
wow, well you should make it known that if your hubby has a beer in hand, not to accpect bids from him..
but it sounds like a fun time..and for our 10th, which was in 05..we did nothing.
have fun..when are you going?
it sounds lovely! truly... there is always something nice about vacationing somewhere nice a second time... learning more, seeing more and yet also experiencing a few moments of familiar... :)
Sometimes when reality doesn't meet with your standard....you may just need to lower your standard to remain happy.
(I prefer to look at it as broadening my scope of happiness!)
Post a Comment
<< Home