Sweet Eats and Drenched Cheeks
Elliott’s reading has been greatly stunted with this year’s summer break. I don’t expect him to intensely hit the books, but in keeping with my theory that kids need structure, I do ask him to complete around 20 minutes of reading most days while his brother is napping. He’s been going down to his room during said reading time, but typically comes up with a Star Wars drawing or newly created spy gadget made from paper clips and twisty ties (a real MacGyver, this kid…)
I decided it was time for incentive. If he could finish his King Arthur book by sun down on Friday, then he was going to experience his first trip to Valley Fair (a mini version of a 6-Flags ride park). Finish it he did. As lame as they are, he’s seen the commercials and was extremely pumped. We thought it would be fun to bring some buddies, so we called up my sister-in-law and niece to join us. Naturally, rides that involved getting drenched were a hit with the kids. I think the food came in second; we ate everything from cotton candy to root-beer floats (I drool just thinking about it…) I learned that (a) Elliott is a thrill-seeker through and through, (b) my niece goes pale and makes fish-faces while riding the most intense roller-coaster in the park; (c) never ask somebody to hold your ice cream while you go on a ride; and (d) men with curly mullets comb their hair frequently.
((I can’t wait to go again!))
------------------------
Oh, in the way of an update, I did get a hold of Casey’s mom Friday afternoon; she’s a very nice and down-to-earth kind of gal who was upset to hear about what had occurred that morning. She thanked me for candor and said that she would be calling neighbor kid’s folks as well. That evening there was a knock at the door. There stood a very remorseful Casey (and family). They biked over to see that their eldest provided a face-to-face apology for the morning’s events. For some reason, I have a hard time with obligatory apologies (this is probably an issue for a separate post…) but it didn’t seem as if he was saying it to simply appease mom and dad – from what I could tell, he was truly sorry. He’s a great kid and it was just a dumb kid kinda thing. His parents handled it like rock stars, which reaffirmed my original notion that Elliott’s got himself a great buddy. As to my earlier sentiment regarding apologies, I really am not looking forward to how this is going to play out with neighbor kid or his folks. I’m sure I have nothing to worry about, but I don’t know them aside from the brief pick-ups. Wish me luck and grace.
I decided it was time for incentive. If he could finish his King Arthur book by sun down on Friday, then he was going to experience his first trip to Valley Fair (a mini version of a 6-Flags ride park). Finish it he did. As lame as they are, he’s seen the commercials and was extremely pumped. We thought it would be fun to bring some buddies, so we called up my sister-in-law and niece to join us. Naturally, rides that involved getting drenched were a hit with the kids. I think the food came in second; we ate everything from cotton candy to root-beer floats (I drool just thinking about it…) I learned that (a) Elliott is a thrill-seeker through and through, (b) my niece goes pale and makes fish-faces while riding the most intense roller-coaster in the park; (c) never ask somebody to hold your ice cream while you go on a ride; and (d) men with curly mullets comb their hair frequently.
((I can’t wait to go again!))
------------------------
Oh, in the way of an update, I did get a hold of Casey’s mom Friday afternoon; she’s a very nice and down-to-earth kind of gal who was upset to hear about what had occurred that morning. She thanked me for candor and said that she would be calling neighbor kid’s folks as well. That evening there was a knock at the door. There stood a very remorseful Casey (and family). They biked over to see that their eldest provided a face-to-face apology for the morning’s events. For some reason, I have a hard time with obligatory apologies (this is probably an issue for a separate post…) but it didn’t seem as if he was saying it to simply appease mom and dad – from what I could tell, he was truly sorry. He’s a great kid and it was just a dumb kid kinda thing. His parents handled it like rock stars, which reaffirmed my original notion that Elliott’s got himself a great buddy. As to my earlier sentiment regarding apologies, I really am not looking forward to how this is going to play out with neighbor kid or his folks. I’m sure I have nothing to worry about, but I don’t know them aside from the brief pick-ups. Wish me luck and grace.


4 Comments:
well, the reward sounds fantasic! glad to hear a grand time was had by all...
in re: to obligatory apologies... i would love to hear your opinion as I think they are great... (always interested in expanding my points of view!)
good luck with the not-so-friendly kids. are you certain you will actually see him again? do you take him this friday too???
i wanna go to vally fair too..we had cedar point up where i lived..(it was in OHIO, but the same order as vally fair only way cooler)...i love those rides and those commercails make me wanna go even more.
well the parents are troopers for doing that..i was thinking they must be heathens, but I can see I stand corrected..kudos to them
Good parents are hard to find these days. This will all build character.
Glad to hear a good time was had by all.
(I hate rides where you get wet)Yep, I'm an old fogey.
Sound like you had an awesome time. There had been no studying of any kind in this house over the summer. I have tried and failed as a mother. I have been told that it is the Summer and that we do not need to study. LOL
I said you will be laughing the other side of your face when you get into 5th grade. He he he....
Good job with the golf episode.
Take care
Post a Comment
<< Home