Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto...
I've been listening to an 80's radio setting online and am having a great time reminiscing. I love how music can immediately transport us to an entirely different time and place in our lives. It really does make a person stop and think about the people who meant so much. It got me thinking that I ought to take better ownership of my past; both to the events that took place and the people who stood by me, even if only for a little while.
It’s rare when life’s ever changing circumstances hold us tightly together... weddings, children, geography and quarrels – all causing us drift little by little. For some, these happenings are a simple speed bump along the way; you still reach out when you have the time but you now find that time is just not as ample as it once was. Those kindles still burn ~ maybe just a little milder now.
What about those friendships, though, that not only drifted - but fell right out of existence? Was I drained of the energy it took to nurture them or was I just too lazy? I realize that not every friendship is meant to be long term, but there are some that just stopped - much like a book being closed when there were so many pages left to read.
I’ve been thinking a lot about those people who I no longer have regular contact with. I wonder how they're doing; how they've changed through the years and if they ever think of me. I think often about touching base. On one hand I am fearful that my attempts would be met with confusion and pity but on the other hand I say go ahead and scoff if you must, but know that you're fondly thought of whenever I hear "Putting on the Ritz", "Total Eclipse of the Heart", "Candle in the Wind", or most anything from Madonna.
It’s rare when life’s ever changing circumstances hold us tightly together... weddings, children, geography and quarrels – all causing us drift little by little. For some, these happenings are a simple speed bump along the way; you still reach out when you have the time but you now find that time is just not as ample as it once was. Those kindles still burn ~ maybe just a little milder now.
What about those friendships, though, that not only drifted - but fell right out of existence? Was I drained of the energy it took to nurture them or was I just too lazy? I realize that not every friendship is meant to be long term, but there are some that just stopped - much like a book being closed when there were so many pages left to read.
I’ve been thinking a lot about those people who I no longer have regular contact with. I wonder how they're doing; how they've changed through the years and if they ever think of me. I think often about touching base. On one hand I am fearful that my attempts would be met with confusion and pity but on the other hand I say go ahead and scoff if you must, but know that you're fondly thought of whenever I hear "Putting on the Ritz", "Total Eclipse of the Heart", "Candle in the Wind", or most anything from Madonna.


7 Comments:
i love that about music.
The other thing that amazes me is that i can tell myself "i need milk" 45 times within an hour, yet get to the grocery store and manage to pick up everything BUT milk... however, as i am driving home from the store, some song from my youth comes on and i know EVERY WORD even though i haven't heard it in 20 years...
A friend and i had this SAME conversation this afternoon in re: to the past, friendships, etc... maybe something about old music and summer brings it out...
This has been something on my mind lately as well. I finally forged ahead and did the classmates.com thing. I spent an hour on the phone the other day with a friend from high school who found me through there. IT was great, well worth the effort. And may I jsut say that 80's music is just the best!
Its hard maintaining contact with people though. I have tried to keep in touch with people in England that I thought I would always know but people move on. There is a saying "Out of sight out of mind". Its sad and such a shame but I guess you can't keep flogging a dead horse.
Anyhow back to the 80s... wasn't that the best time for music? It doesn't mean we are old either.. lol.
Take care
I know what you mean. It's funny how you can suddenly recall someone who was special in your life if only for a short time. We've got about 4 couples we've stayed close to, off and on, since college. It seems we can pick up right where we left off even if it's been a year since we were together. Get in touch with the old ones, it's fun.
Not only do I love 80's music, but I love 90's music as well. The 90's was when I was in high school and college and it just takes me back. Back to friends, lost loves, horrible classes, fun times! I'm with Misty-can't remember milk at the grocery store, but I can recite every New Kids On the Block Song and Baby Got Back. Horrible!!
was catching up on comments and i had to point out that i too, LOVE 90's music. we have XM and i listen to the 90's station 90% (ha!) percent of the time...
also, like mandi, when i did the classmates.com thing, it was really magical. i got in touch with a few old friends, more through myspace i think (because it has similar features) but its just fun to reconnect...
oh yes, music has a way of taking us back to earlier times..be it good times or bad..
and I totally love those 80's stations..first loves, first friendshsips..that are all no longer anymore..
Post a Comment
<< Home