Thursday, June 01, 2006

Going Batty?

We're back! (From camping that is.) We had a great and perfectly exhausting time. The boys spent as much time as possible in or near water via the beach and river, and we adults had a great time connecting too. Oh! and I didn't have to sleep in a tent being as there was a perfectly good pull-out sofa available in my father-in-law's cabin/trailer thing. (What luck!)

In an effort to get as much out of our weekend away as possible, we decided to come home late Sunday night. That way the boys would sleep during the drive and we could transfer them with ease into their little beds; well - at least that's how we envisioned it going! We had two very over-sunned and over-tired little boys; when Noah would cry he would send Elliott into tears - both of them complaining how tired and hot they were (as it turns out, our vehicle's air conditioner decided to go out for the first 90 degree weekend!) Dad was the hero who jumped into the back seat with them for stories, movies and giggles.

We made it home, struggled to put the air conditioners in, dunked the kids in a cool bath and shipped them off to bed. I fell into bed exhausted myself only to be surprised when Andy bolted into the bedroom slamming the door - "what in the world...?" With wild eyes, he tells me that a bat just flew after him. A BAT. It must have found its way in when we had the screens to our windows off... I thank my lucky stars that I was so tired because as it turns out, I was too tired to be afraid. We spent roughly an hour looking for the little bugger, and when we were sure it was confined to our bedroom, we passed out on the couch. At about 5am, I woke up to Andy poking me with a hockey stick "It's down here!!" With sleepy eyes, we chased that ridiculous bat around our house. Well to be perfectly honest, Andy was the one doing the chasing. I was still pretty much in a daze; I swung my hockey stick around when he turned his gaze to me but other than that, I hardly moved.

Andy finally cornered the little bugger and I was given explicit instruction to watch it as he ran to the garage for Elliott's BB gun. I giggled at my post in the kitchen, thinking poor Andy had come home from deer hunting each year empty handed... and now he thinks he's going to shoot a mouse with wings? To my amazement, Andy unloaded 4 shots on our unsuspecting bat. The kids couldn't believe that all this took place during their slumber.

I can't help but think how oddly ironic it is that I snub my nose at camping because of bugs, critters and the elements only to come back from an incident-free weekend in the woods to find stifling heat and flying bats in the sanctuary of my own home.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Ya know, sometimes it's just not worth the bother is it.
BUT, a great time was had by all and the memories are what counts.

June 01, 2006 9:53 PM  
Blogger Mandi said...

Oh bats....oh my word. I had a bat get caught in my hair when I was young....it was way longer then. Oh I'm so terrified of them now. I would have refused to sleep in the house. You are SOOO brave!

June 02, 2006 4:34 PM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

i get bats too...your house will be skeeter free now..

June 02, 2006 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Rid of acne http://www.dvd-players-8.info/multiregion-codes-sony-dvd-players.html Disney princess area rugs Incorporating online wa Hail protective car cover Farmer insurance sacramento Playing free black jack signal fire alarms Computer silicon chip manufacturers Castelle patio furniture Free sexy stationery Installing isp high speed Freeware homepage

March 07, 2007 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »

April 26, 2007 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home