Friday, June 09, 2006

Turmoil - Commonplace in Uganda

I remember watching the Oscar winning movie, Hotel Rwanda and thinking I never even knew. I was never aware that such tragedy took place or was even possible. Extermination, mutilation and horrific oppression; these things only taking place on a black and white screen in my mind's eye.

Through the efforts of a friend-of-a-friend, I was made better aware that these same nightmares have been taking place on a continual basis in Uganda since 1987. I remember hearing the occasional news blurb discussing unrest in the Congo, but I never once allowed the gravity of it all to sink in. I looked into it a little further and got a larger dose of knowledge about it.

Evidentially, a group named the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), formed in 1987, has been following through in many of the aforementioned acts. Violence grew stronger in the early to mid 90's and one of the main atrocities they have been engaged in is the kidnapping of northern Ugandan children, ages 3-17, for the purposes of (1) use as soldiers; (2) sex slaves; and (3) civilian intimidation. The Acholi people have been the main victims of this. Most have been forced to evacuate and move into internally displaced person (IDP) camps, which are said to be miserable places. Each night, the Acholi send their children on a 12 mile hike to the center of the City, near Government sites for safety from being taken by the LRA army. In the morning, the children hike back.

I will refrain from going on and on (though I could), and allow you to click on the link above (the title). Check it out for yourselves. Through the course of my own enlightenment, I've read that real action is being taken to put an end to the LRA afflictions. I realize that getting on a plane to scoop these people up and take them home with me is not an option, though there are ways to contribute. And lest we not forget there is always prayer to offer.

Okay, I'll hop off the soap box for now. Thanks for the ears.

4 Comments:

Blogger eyes_only4him said...

this is why I could not watch the moive nor watch Oprahs shows about such topics..I hate hearing about that kind of stuff that I can do nothing about..it is sickening to think people are living like that out there..

Its hard to belive that this day and age that stuff like that still goes on..its maddening..

great thought provoker girl.

June 11, 2006 8:30 PM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

I kind of shut myself off from it to. I wish that I didn't but maybe I should look more often.

I am so glad that I found your blog. You posted on mine and then I couldn't find you because your profile doesn't link it. I will try to catch up on your blog.

Thank you for you kind words on my last post.

Take care

June 12, 2006 7:08 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

yes, its devestating... i thought the same thing during Hotel Rwanda, but have been aware of Uganda for so long. Actually, i was just in Idaho and my very dear friend there (and her husband) had just returned from a month in Uganda... such sad stories, but not hopeless...
just tragic...

June 13, 2006 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Insurance privacy policy buick open golf tournament http://www.mcse-training-7.info pmdd zoloft Discount time share rentals australia bextra valdecoxib tablet asthma resources Jeep cherokee dome light westin running boards divorce advice Cheap calls to brunei renault master Coach hampton handbag - stripe small market tote Big+boobs+teens+porn

April 23, 2007 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home