Friday, March 16, 2007

Here we go again!

I live in a great neighborhood. There are wonderful families and kids for my children to play with; there are 3 beaches , a large neighborhood park, and a few fishing docks within a 3 block radius for us to enjoy. We are within walking distance to the quaint and charming downtown area filled with boutiques, barbershops, cafes, hardware and drug stores. We live one block off of the parade route and 2 blocks away from where fireworks are launched. I LOVE MY NEIGHBORHOOD. (A little redundant perhaps, but it gets the point across.)

However...

I have a new addition to our list of growing issues (you're familiar with the list right? the one that includes stolen bikes, slashed tires and lest-we-not-forget peeping Tom's?) Well brace yourselves, here's the new one:

Our community children came home with a memo announcing that a Level 3 Sex Offender is moving into our fine city. 'Where?' you might ask - 2 freaking blocks away from my home. He is being released on March 20th and from what I understand, is being welcomed into the home of his girlfriend who feels we should embrace him with open arms, as he is indeed reformed.

That brings me to his rap sheet. The offense for which he is currently serving five year's time for according to the local police department is that of raping a 15-year old girl; but when I bring up his general offense information online, it discusses a first degree burglary with intent to commit assault.

Reformed? Excuse me, but what the %#@&? Five years and he's fit for society? Five years and he's fit for a neighborhood with countless numbers of children under the age of 12, a half dozen young teenage girls, some dang fine look'n mommas and plenty of high-end homes to seduce him? He will be living exactly 50 feet away from the beach where my children play and young girls sun themselves. How much will it take to lull him out of reform, because I guarantee you that this move will be a terrible challenge for Mr. Reform.

We will attend the public meeting on Monday night to find out what we can and cannot do about Mr. Thomas. There was a great deal of language devoted to warning us about harassing the 200 lb monster in the memo that our children were given. Should be interesting to see how Andy, along with the other fathers, will respond to that advice.

One of the main questions I expect to ask at the meeting is why is our neighborhood designated the half-way house for Mr. Thomas?

I don't want to stop at just that but I am having a difficult time articulating my other concerns. So lay it on me friends; give me some good points of discussion for our little "let's embrace the Rapist" meeting scheduled for Monday night.

2 Comments:

Blogger Misty said...

oh man...
where was his "girlfriend" when he raped a fifteen year old? Does she rent or own? If she rents, what does her landlord think about this?

Isn't it crazy the guidelines for treating such individuals? And their taunting of society is what? rule free? I am not trying to be biased, some do reform.
The numbers are low though, and it typically takes more than 5 years of prison to do it.

Wow... even though I have left a long comment, i just don't know what to say.

March 16, 2007 1:02 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

so...I heard it was a bit heated on monday?

March 21, 2007 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home