An Excellent Book
This year has been a great one in the realm of wonderful reads; I've read about London's plague of 1666, about angry housewives eating bon-bon's, about the fate of a mentally challenged child given away at birth, and the journey of a young shepherd boy looking for treasure (which I recommend highly too - it's called the Alchemist...) but the book that I'm currently reading has really made an impact. The same kind of impact most of us felt when watching Hotel Rwanda - the kind that whispers in disbelief "this really happened and so many were unaware"."What is the What" is novel based on the true story of a boy orphaned at the age of 6 due to the second civil war in southern Sudan, Africa. He speaks with a very honest voice in telling his story, and gives us bits and pieces of other refugee stories as well.
While I wouldn't consider this an entirely faith-based book, the title comes from the region's religious belief about a proposal that God presented the Dinka tribe with. I won't spoil it - but it makes sense in any tribal / non-tribal life.
In my opinion, the book gives an easily educated voice about the conflict between the region's people and the Arab nation to the north (and subsequently, discusses the Western world's involvement).
At this point, I'm straying from the organization that my original post intended, but you get the idea... it's a good book. One that I initially worried would be far too deep and/or educational for a bit of light reading, but you won't regret it.


2 Comments:
it sounds wonderful! thanks for the tip!
Jayson and I are involved with efforts in the genocide happening in Darfur. If you're interested, here's a website:
www.savedarfur.org
(OK, that sounded very salesy,sorry, but it is an issue close to our hearts.)
Thanks for the book tip. I'm going to put it on my "to read" list.
Post a Comment
<< Home