Tuesday, May 15, 2007

2 Kids, a Lawn & a Pizza Party

Okay, I'll go ahead and attempt a real
post this time... Things have been moving along at a rapid pace here in the life of us. I haven't had much opportunity to post Disney pictures being as my computer is dreadfully slow, but this is my favorite vacation shot.
Elliott has started baseball and is loving every single minute of it. He takes the sport so seriously too - the coaches couldn't help but comment on his professional stance behind home plate as the catcher. Donning his catcher gear, he does the perfect squat and even tucks one hand behind his back (why they do this, I do not know...) Noah has been enjoying his steadfast duty as the spectator. There are a few other kids to play with, but mainly he enjoys picking up the litter he finds around the ball fields. The nearest garbage can is another field away, so he seems to tire just as much as Elliott.

When we're not at ball practice, we're gearing our efforts to the great outdoors being as our lawn is SAD and SPARSE. Wasn't it Babe Ruth who said "We're raising kids not lawns"? While Mr. Ruth makes a good argument, I've decided that having a lawn (as opposed to multiple splotches of dirt with nary but a few blades of grass poking through) is my newfound obsession. We have many shade trees in our small yard as well as Babe's aforementioned kids. Add an energetic pooch to the mix and well...let's just say it's not pretty. Each time the kids come into the house from playing in the yard, we go through a meticulous task known as the 'knee-down sponge bath', typically followed by the all too familiar tension headache. The remedy is soon approaching, however. We had a guy come and take soil samples to find out why our own efforts have failed; he checked the Ph levels, etc. and it sounds like he's going to hydro seed next week. Anybody ever gone through this process? I know it involves spreading "goo" on the lawn, but not much else.
...wow; I just spent a lot of time talking about grass. I must be getting old...
Have you ever had one of those terrifying heart-stopping moments when you realized you've forgotten something vital? I had just such a moment yesterday afternoon. Each year, I am involved with a fundraiser for Elliott's school called the Spring Fling. It's a big fancy dinner/silent auction. It took place in late April, but there are some final tasks that I'm in charge of. There was a "Grand Raffle Ticket Sales Contest" that the students were involved in. The most successful classroom won a pizza party / out of uniform pass. I arranged the date with the appropriate teacher and made sure I sent a notice home to the parents reminding them NOT to send a lunch with their child, etc. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon - I am at my kitchen table mindlessly leafing through a catalogue when the phone range. It was the school secretary wondering where the pizza (and everything else associated with a pizza party was). PANIC.... my mind was a blur.... the only words that would form were "What do I do? What do I do?" Major kudos to the secretary, who not only calmed me out of my tizz, but she ordered the pizzas and arranged to swap the class's recess & lunch times. In the matter of 15 minutes, I had slapped together a PB&J for Noah, woke him from his nap, got his school clothes on, ran to CVS to purchase party supplies, etc. and flew to the school. Noah was a champ - he helped me get everything ready (we're talking moving tables & chairs as well!) "Mom! Where would you want DIS chair?" "C'mon Mom! Hurwy!" Everyone was very forgiving and the party was a success. The first grade class (who won) told me all about the things they've forgotten, in an effort to make me feel better.
What a great new perspective that day gave me. Funny how my worst blunder brought out the best in those around me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

Forgot the Pizza Party!!!! You may need a few minutes for yourself and Calgone :)

May 15, 2007 1:04 PM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

Wow I am glad that it turned out alright for you.

I hope you get your grass soon. I don't know much about grass. Never seemed to have a problem with it in England but here we don't have any. I do miss it though.

Take care xx

May 17, 2007 8:47 AM  
Blogger Misty said...

Hurrah for good endings... glad to see your real post, even though I am super late reading it!

May 22, 2007 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home