The Big Red Button
The public counter I work at for the City of White Bear Lake allows me to see the comings and goings of many people including contractors pulling permits, retirees paying their utility bills over a cup of coffee, and most of all, rushed parents hauling their children through an endless array of errands including a trip to the license bureau. When I see these little tykes, I think to myself or sometimes say out loud “atta boy / girl – you’re doing a good job helping out!” You know the kid doesn’t want to be there, but there they are. Some whining at the candy machine, some tugging on mom or dad while doing a potty dance and others just chattering for the sake of nobody in particular. After completing the task at hand, the child is told that they can finally leave the most boring place known to anybody under 40 inches. On their way out, they see right at eye-level is a BIG RED BUTTON (the handicap-door opener). I don’t care if the child is a heavenly saint or Rosemary’s baby, it will push that button to see what happens. This is when I hide under my desk because I know the receptionist is about to holler at the startled child (and parent) “HEY! YOU CAN’T MESS AROUND WITH THAT!” I really don’t think that pushing a button once to see what will happen constitutes as ‘messing around’. This woman has two grown boys, and yet can’t remember how curious they can be. Does she actually view her actions as a preventative measure in ensuring the safety of our fine city’s big red button? Let’s all say a prayer right now that God help us fight off the calluses that creep into our lives and make us look past a child’s twinkley eyes.


3 Comments:
Gosh lady, what's the harm in pushing the bottom? Bells and whistles? Firemen and ambulance dispatched? World War started right there in White Bear Lake? Geez, give a kid a break!
When Evy was still infant carrier bound, I made a promise to myself that I would never deny her a ride on the penny ponies, toy fire engines and big oddly-colored dinosaurs that graced the doorways of our area grocery stores. I haven't broken it yet.
oh, and we always push the handicap button at the Dr.'s office. How do THEY know we're not somehow handicaped anyway???
testing, one...two...three
Post a Comment
<< Home