Dare to Dream
I had a very thought provoking visit not long ago with a friend wherein all kinds of "accepted" and "not-so-accepted" Christian spiritual matters were discussed. Among these matters was the topic of dreams. While I am only now starting to focus on the importance of my dreams, we both agreed that they are full of purpose, clarity, and sometimes even the simplest of instruction.
I've always been a vivid dreamer and I enjoy sharing my dreams with those who are involved. Since our conversation, however, I have challenged myself to remember more about my dreams when I wake. I should be careful what I wish for! Based on what my subconscious has been provided within the past few weeks, I would say I'm fit for a padded cell!
However some of these dreams, strangeness aside, have been very special gifts. For example, I've had two extremely vivid dreams about my mother-in-law (who passed away approximately 10 years ago after her fight with pancreatic cancer). In one dream, it was realized that she had died and was just passing through for a visit - she seemed tired as I tried to introduce her to those around me. In last night's dream, she was at my kitchen table attending a large gathering we were having. She and my father-in-law were talking about the new furniture they were going to purchase now that she was "back". Whether it was wishful thinking or a comforting reminder that we will all be hanging around the kitchen table one day soon, I'm thankful.
Earlier this summer, my recently deceased grandmother with whom I was very close came for a dream-time visit. She was all dolled up in her suede leather jacket and red lipstick and just dropped in to let me know I had left a candle burning. (I hadn't, yet I was very comforted to know she was looking out for me.)
Naturally, those dreams which contain visits with people who have passed away are hard to ignore. The urge to smell, hear and see the people who meant so much to us is strong. I tend to react to those particular dreams as if they are a gift - - a reassuring gift. But what about those other dreams? Was it really the spicy taco seasoning that caused me to dream a pack of wolves was terrorizing my family? What about the dream where I watched in amazement as my friend Mandy G. sent her one-year old son through a chaotic educational system that was similar to a busy airport terminal? Finally, what about the recurring dream where Elliott defies me so horribly?
I'm not going to rush right out and have my palm read or buy an eight ball or anything like that. However, I do hope that as a Christian I am able to search further for answers in an open-minded capacity that won't eventually have an over-religious zealot pushing on my forehead praying the demons out. When all is said and done, I would rather just have my friends pray for a little discernment.
I've always been a vivid dreamer and I enjoy sharing my dreams with those who are involved. Since our conversation, however, I have challenged myself to remember more about my dreams when I wake. I should be careful what I wish for! Based on what my subconscious has been provided within the past few weeks, I would say I'm fit for a padded cell!
However some of these dreams, strangeness aside, have been very special gifts. For example, I've had two extremely vivid dreams about my mother-in-law (who passed away approximately 10 years ago after her fight with pancreatic cancer). In one dream, it was realized that she had died and was just passing through for a visit - she seemed tired as I tried to introduce her to those around me. In last night's dream, she was at my kitchen table attending a large gathering we were having. She and my father-in-law were talking about the new furniture they were going to purchase now that she was "back". Whether it was wishful thinking or a comforting reminder that we will all be hanging around the kitchen table one day soon, I'm thankful.
Earlier this summer, my recently deceased grandmother with whom I was very close came for a dream-time visit. She was all dolled up in her suede leather jacket and red lipstick and just dropped in to let me know I had left a candle burning. (I hadn't, yet I was very comforted to know she was looking out for me.)
Naturally, those dreams which contain visits with people who have passed away are hard to ignore. The urge to smell, hear and see the people who meant so much to us is strong. I tend to react to those particular dreams as if they are a gift - - a reassuring gift. But what about those other dreams? Was it really the spicy taco seasoning that caused me to dream a pack of wolves was terrorizing my family? What about the dream where I watched in amazement as my friend Mandy G. sent her one-year old son through a chaotic educational system that was similar to a busy airport terminal? Finally, what about the recurring dream where Elliott defies me so horribly?
I'm not going to rush right out and have my palm read or buy an eight ball or anything like that. However, I do hope that as a Christian I am able to search further for answers in an open-minded capacity that won't eventually have an over-religious zealot pushing on my forehead praying the demons out. When all is said and done, I would rather just have my friends pray for a little discernment.


4 Comments:
Being a vivid dreamer myself, I can sort of imagine where you are coming from. As a child and a teenager, I struggled with horrifc nightmares. Sometimes I wonder why God created a subconcious. But biblical people had dreams, pretty weird ones too. Maybe there is a reason. You aren't crazy! But yes, I think some discernment would be required. I'll pray.
dreams a very amazing to me. I love dreaming. ( i dont do it often..or i dont remeber them i should say).
glad u can find comfort in them..that is always a plus:)
this was so well spoken/written, felicia... having both types of Christians in my life (the overly religious and the open minded) it amazes me the extreme vastness of oppinion... i truly loved reading this post and knowing that there is someone else who agrees that maybe it isn't either extreme in regards to dreams which is right...
discernment is the perfect thing to ask for!
If you can put in orders, dream about my mom, would you? I miss her, but I don't have dreams about her.
...except this one where she was mad at me about something and I woke up so upset.
Mostly my dreams are a hodge-podge of daily events and mundane moments. In all my recient dreams I have been pregnant, which is a bit of a bummer, because you'd think I could escape the belly in a dream, right? :o)
But seriously, I think you're right about being discerning regarding you're dreams. Some people read way too much into them, but I don't think it's right to throw them all out the window either, dreams can tell us alot about ourselves. who knows what else. I applaud your openness, yet wisdom, cousin. :o)
Oh, and any update on your peeping tom? I've been wondering.
Post a Comment
<< Home