Thursday, March 23, 2006

I Really Don't Listen

To music, that is. I guess I just 'feel' music (and if you think that sounds extremely schmaltzy, it does...) What I'm trying to establish is that you could get away with sneaking any kind of lyrics into a song, and as long as the melody is pleasing and gels with any one of my given moods, I'm going to be an avid listener and turn the volume up.

When I'm at the office, I listen to www.launchcast.net; I've created my own radio station by rating songs that are played, and one that I've rated quite highly just finished. I turned it up a bit and immediately allow it's snappy feel-good style to influence my Thursday disposition. When I looked at the song information, I learned that the title of this jazzy little tune is "Laid"... Once I obtained this information, I took a moment to actually listen to the lyrics and I guess you can say that what I heard is probably not well suited for the office...(or the kids).

Then it dawned on me.

I'm going to spend at least the next 10 years driving my impressionable children around, thinking I'm doing my part by playing the role of the taxi-mom only to realize that their heads are prematurely being filled with sex-ed, aggressive carnage and dare I say it...political manipulation!

Please; for those of you who have a strong desire to volunteer or give back to society in any way, please prepare me a CD of suitable minivan tracks (that don't include the itsy-bitsy spider or wheels on the bus...) so that my children can become acceptable members of society or in the very least, won't blame their therapy bill debt on poor, oblivious momma.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Mom? Do you like that song? Really! Can you understand the words they're saying? I didn't think so.
Yep, been there.
Don't worry about them blaming Mom. They will.

March 24, 2006 8:01 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Hawk said...

I've been listening to KS95 a lot lately and think that station is "safe" as well as KTIS (The Christian station) - they are playing a lot more good Christian music. If you can ignore the DJs, you'll do OK :)

March 24, 2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

i love launchcast...I have my own staion too..plus I love listening to the 80's dance station..( i have the premuim setvice..i need it..haha)

i dont know any of todays music, and i think thats a good thing..dont you..

March 24, 2006 11:53 AM  
Blogger Misty said...

i had to laugh out loud at this... what kind of music do you typically like? harder stuff, accoustic, "pop", hip hop, etc... i bet i could recommend some really safe stuff for you...

March 26, 2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger Felecia said...

I like EVERY kind of music for the most part; everything from Nora Jones to John Mayer; from Michael Crawford to Josh Groban; from Dido, Enya and Cheryl Crow to BNL... the list goes on... (and on and on!)

March 29, 2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Felesh, Misty is GREAT with music. take her advice. And for kid music that won't drive you insane try Elisabeth Mitchell and Dan Zanes.

April 02, 2006 7:33 PM  
Blogger Felecia said...

Thank goodness because as I type, Lauri Berkner is singing "Freddy Vasco ate a burrito with tobasco..." in the background

Oye!

April 03, 2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger Misty said...

sorry it took me a bit to get back to you... here is a small, feeble attempt at suggestions:
wasn't sure if you were looking for Christian music, or secular... honestly, there is a lot of Christian music that i love, but most of it doesn't sound "overly" Christian... does that make sense? anyway...
CHRISTIAN:
-Jennifer Knapp (very Sheryl Crow-ish, but stronger in my opinion...)
-Michelle Tumes (very peaceful, with that Enya feel, but maybe less of the chanting... i love enya, BTW.)
-Ellery (http://www.ellerymusic.com/ you can find links here to buy their cds. they have a new one coming out today (am yet to hear it) but have seen them twice and have their first two cds... their first one is fabulous...)
-Plumb (although she is pretty popular, personally i am a big fan of her older stuff- however, if you like synthesizer recordings, then you might like her two newer albums. the best album in my opinion is "candy coated water drops".
-The Listening (guy group, real soothing and yet they rock a bit.)
- Switchfoot, i recommend anything. a real light rock.
-if you want something really "rock-ish" then i recommend Thousand Foot Krutch.

SECULAR:

-Michelle Branch (she has that accoustic sound, great lyrics... both my husband and i love her, and our daughter does too.)
- Lisa Loeb just put out a greatest hits cd thats great...
- you likely won't go wrong with Josh G., Enya or Norah j...
- coldplay (worth recommending if you aren't already a fan. i like them, though they are a tad overrated...)
- Joseph arthur has a few fabulously noteworthy songs, but i don't know about his cd. (but the songs are REALLY great)
-Gavin Degraw (i love his sound... and am pretty sure his lyrics are safe...)
- the frey... i have liked them for awhile but they are suddenly hitting it HUGE, selling out everywhere ever since their song aired on Grey's anatomy.
- Death Cab for Cutie are an indie music band with a great fan base. (and they deserve it...) they are really great, good rainyday/calm music... (but not depressing... encouraging, i guess you could say.

Hope this helps, if you need more then let me know :)

April 04, 2006 5:47 AM  
Blogger Felecia said...

Many thanks for the wonderful suggestions!

I will keep a list in my purse for those trips to Barnes & Noble and Target; together we can end the embarrassing cycle of having to say "LA LA LA LA!" really lound just to cover up raunchy lyrics!

April 05, 2006 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home