The Tattler and The Toddler
Growing up an only child, and now being the mother of two, I am both amazed and disgusted with the “tattletale” phenomenon that has overtaken our home. I never knew one person could be so interested in what another is doing for the pure sake of ratting them out. ALL OF THE TIME. Morning…noon…night. They just don’t get tired of it.
“Noah kicked me!”
“Noah kicked the dog!”
“Noah kicked the pizza guy!”
You would think I could handle this concept a little better. I’ve worked in litigation. I’ve been on the side of the plaintiff as well as the defendant and have seen how their respective strings are pulled; one side hoping the other will slip up so the Court can be apprised and the offending side’s wrist slapped accordingly.
Elliott could tattle in his sleep. Just yesterday he snuck one into the middle of a completely unrelated sentence and just kept going… “she said that because Duke was sitting next to Brandon on the bus that Noah’s in the fridge he’s just as much of a baby as Brandon is.” (Eh?)
Naturally, Noah is a little behind the game being that he is only two, and typically plays the role of the instigator…but even his tattle “tail” is growing. However, he’s realized that he’s up against Elliott, the 4-year reigning all time champion, so he chooses his battles accordingly with the family dog.
“Maxy chood his bone!”
“Maxy chood da phone!”
“Maxy chood da pizza guy!”
I’ve considered a few different diversions, which have all but backfired. “Elliott, from now on, I don’t want to hear about it unless one of you is in need of medical assistance!” He pays us back by not bothering to mention that Noah is in the midst of pouring juice onto the kitchen floor (which “Maxy” found fit to run through). I can’t seem to impress upon a 6-year old the concept of amending the original rule with reasonably excusable exceptions… so naturally, we’re back to square one. TATTLING ALL THE TIME.
I’m biding my time and hoping that Elliott’s heavily relied upon material will soon cease as Noah outgrows toddler hood. In the meantime, I would welcome any advice, suggestions, and shipments of wine – I like chardonnay.
“Noah kicked me!”
“Noah kicked the dog!”
“Noah kicked the pizza guy!”
You would think I could handle this concept a little better. I’ve worked in litigation. I’ve been on the side of the plaintiff as well as the defendant and have seen how their respective strings are pulled; one side hoping the other will slip up so the Court can be apprised and the offending side’s wrist slapped accordingly.
Elliott could tattle in his sleep. Just yesterday he snuck one into the middle of a completely unrelated sentence and just kept going… “she said that because Duke was sitting next to Brandon on the bus that Noah’s in the fridge he’s just as much of a baby as Brandon is.” (Eh?)
Naturally, Noah is a little behind the game being that he is only two, and typically plays the role of the instigator…but even his tattle “tail” is growing. However, he’s realized that he’s up against Elliott, the 4-year reigning all time champion, so he chooses his battles accordingly with the family dog.
“Maxy chood his bone!”
“Maxy chood da phone!”
“Maxy chood da pizza guy!”
I’ve considered a few different diversions, which have all but backfired. “Elliott, from now on, I don’t want to hear about it unless one of you is in need of medical assistance!” He pays us back by not bothering to mention that Noah is in the midst of pouring juice onto the kitchen floor (which “Maxy” found fit to run through). I can’t seem to impress upon a 6-year old the concept of amending the original rule with reasonably excusable exceptions… so naturally, we’re back to square one. TATTLING ALL THE TIME.
I’m biding my time and hoping that Elliott’s heavily relied upon material will soon cease as Noah outgrows toddler hood. In the meantime, I would welcome any advice, suggestions, and shipments of wine – I like chardonnay.


4 Comments:
LOL, ok first up coming from a mother of 3..ages 8 and half 5 and a half and 2..
tattleing is just something we have to deal with. it sucks, yes I know..But I have found out very useful information from the tattles..just drown out the "oh he kicked me" ones..just keep your mommy filter on..u are bound to find out the darnest things all from the tattleing..trust me on this:)
and it will also make for good blogging matreil...
trust me i know this..heehee
it is annyoing i know, but its just something kids do..it ould be worse..trust me:)
Amen however I outrank Christina because I have 4...he he!
Tattling is something that we struggle with. My three oldest are 6,4 and 3. So the "Mom,she touched this." "Mom, she's looking at me!" Mom!!! Yeah....ugh. I also used the line, unless one of you is bleeding or on fire, I really don't want to hear about it. Amazing how they conviently leave out things that I think are worth tattling about. Then they seem to enter this sacred brotherhood of Don't tell mom!! I usually just ignore unless it gets physical. It drives my kids crazy when I say, "Ok thanks for telling me." They want action. Give none and it will slow down!
Exactly! Elliott hangs around to see what I will do to his kid brother; and when it's not spectacular he makes his own suggestions! "Mom you should put him in the be nice chair!" My response is typically a big old snort followed by "who is the parent here?"
yikes. I don't know what I'll do. It's coming, I know I can't avoid it. I'm plagued with visions of libby waggling her finger at me going "OOOooooohhh! I'm tell-ING!!!" then standing behind Mom (conveniently out of her line of sight) and making faces at me as I was being punished.
...or was that me doing it to her? ;o)
Post a Comment
<< Home